Current Projects become a member
Mill Stone



The mill stone on the museum grounds is one half of the stone used to grind flour at a Drayton flour mill on the south side of Drayton c. 1918. The stone was found on the banks of the Red River in 1980; the whereabouts of the matching stone are unknown. Stone grinders are the oldest type of grinder with two circular grinding stones. One stone turns against a stationary stone. Grooves are cut into the stone radiating out from the center of the stone to the ends. Grain falls through a channel into the center of the two stones and, as the stone rotates, it pulls the grain out through the channels to be ground. The flour falls out the outer edges of the two stones. Mill stones weighed hundreds of pounds and were turned by windmills, water wheels or animals.







Back to Projects


Home | Projects | Membership | Directors | Links
Purpose | Upcoming Events | Past Events | News Pieces | Join